work with us
we have a principal emphasis on the personal creativity and development of our students and our staff.view content
established in 1840, the university of winchester combines heritage with innovative learning and teaching. these pages are designed to help you find out more about what it is like to work here.
today the university employs over 700 members of staff and aims to encourage a positive working environment in which employees are helped to reach their full potential.
winchester offers innovative and forward-thinking teaching with scholars at the forefront of their disciplines. this is combined with an excellent environment for learning underpinned by committed, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff working in a huge range of roles. always striving for excellence, we are the only university in the uk to be awarded five-star accreditation rating for overall organisational excellence by the british quality foundation, under its recognised for excellence scheme, which uses the efqm excellence model.
why work at winchester?
you can enjoy a range of benefits, support, discounts and events to help you and your family both within and outside the workplace. staff can utilise the many facilities on campus and can take a stroll into vibrant and historical winchester city centre.
staff development and pay progression
- a comprehensive staff development programme
- annual salary review and incremental pay progression
- fee waivers for academic taught courses
- access to learning resources.
holiday and leave
- you can enjoy a generous leave entitlement
- we have a flexible working policy in place, covering everything from flexi-time to career breaks
- we offer arguably some of the best pension schemes available, including the local government pensions scheme and teachers' pensions scheme.
staff benefits on campus
there are many benefits on campus for staff to enjoy. on-site benefits include (but are not limited to):
- numerous high-quality catering outlets and on-site shop
- staff social events
- on-site parking and excellent public transport links
- on-site nursery
- access to gym and sport facilities
- free wellbeing events and workshops
- free evening lecture series
- working within a beautifully landscaped campus, with award-winning architecture
- a friendly and supportive atmosphere with many opportunities for collaboration
employees can benefit from discounts, helping you to save money:
- discounts at local and national retailers
- discounts on rail and bus services
- cycle scheme, saving you money on the cost of a new bicycle
- childcare voucher scheme, so you can save on childcare costs
at the university of winchester, we take care of our staff. the university embraces diversity and believes that individuals matter.
- staff interest groups, eg lgbt, parents, carers, disability and equality groups
- free external independent financial, legal, health and consumer advice
the technician commitment
the university is a signatory to “the technician commitment”, a higher education sector initiative which aims to ensure visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technicians. the university of winchester has a small but important community of technicians. our self-assessment and action plan for the technician commitment can be accessed here.
disability confident employer
the university of winchester is proud to be a disability confident employer. disability confident is a scheme which is designed to help us recruit and retain people with a disability in a job which is a good match with their skills and talent. if you would like more information about the scheme please visit gov.uk. if you would like to speak to the recruitment team about your requirements in relation to the recruitment process please use the contact details at the bottom of this page.
if you have any queries in relation to working here at the university our contact details are:
university of winchester
tele: 01962 827279
monday - friday
9am - 5pm